Sunday, September 21, 2014

Procedures and student succes criteria in choice-based art!


Student success criteria and clear expectations are a major focus for my professional goals this year, I want to share some of the work I done so far. 



 Capturing ideas and planning are the first two steps in the artistic process.  This entire wall will be filled with the entire process.  Students will be able to look to the wall to 
1. know what they should be doing at each step 
2. understand what the work looks like
3. understand how the work should impact their project
4. justify the work that they are doing
 This just might be one of my favorite walls in my room! Here are the artistic behaviors in Thomson Art!  Beside the behavior is a strategy for students to write goals for their projects.  Students MUST have a goal that they are working on throughout their artistic process.  Success stories so far...one third grader decided that adding writing to his art would enhance and clarify his message! (his goal is communication)  Sometimes students will pick their goal, sometimes they may have more than one, and sometimes they might have a teacher-recommended goal.  
Success story number 2- a student left me a drawing in my mailbox about all the wonderful things in art.  Love, truth, beauty, drawing, goals!!
Table-top anchor charts provide success criteria for materials at each of the stations.  Another layer that students are accessing information and expectations to determine their own success! PS-they get major points for coming up with alternative ways of using the materials (INNOVATION!)

17 comments:

  1. Do you sell these on teachers pay teachers? If not you should definitely think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa, I'm not in the classroom anymore. Please feel free to use whatever you want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Can you send me a close-up pic of your gradual release poster. I was trying to understand this last year as it applies to TAB/ choice; my first year last year. kkennedy@middletowncityschools.com Thank you in advanced! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you be willing to share the strategies that hang by each goal?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the goals and artistic behaviors wall. could you share what the items in the bags are and the color coding aspect of your wall. It is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison,
      If you send me your email I will share some docs with you and explain my color system!

      Delete
  6. Hi! Your visuals are amazing! If you'd be willing to share, I'd also love the info on your color coding and strategies. My email is comstock.kellie@battlegroundps.org

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there! I love all your boards. I am having a hard time weaning my kids off of follow me lessons and I would love anything you can share with me. My email is amaxwell01@ems-isd.net. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your website is AMAZING. I am in love with all your teaching style.

    Will you share your pre-work plan, during work plan, and post work reflection?

    I am curious to see it.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going full TAB next year and this post has been so helpful. I am curious about what your planning pages look like (pre-work plan, during work plan, etc.) Would you mind sharing them? Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI!!! I also LOVE your organization and visuals for idea-making- could you send me what's in the folders or any other resources seen here? THANK YOU SO MUCH! I appreciate it!
    alexandra.marie.mcbride@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sarah! I am an elementary art teacher in NY and I am in the process of transitioning to a TAB choice-based classroom. I LOVE your ideas on this page about goals, processes and gradual release of responsibility. Is there any chance you would be willing to share your documents posted on your bulletin board? Thanks for your blog! I'm getting such fantastic ideas from you! :) cdonnelly@mail.seaford.k12.ny.us

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this idea! If you still have the info, would you be able to share what you had on the goals board? Thank you! sarah.meyer@aspenacademymn.org

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so freaky! I made a handout about planning in your sketchbook during the same school year that you published this blog post, but I didn't see your post until now. We used almost the same exact sample project! Spooky! Here's my handout: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GlqXHU1QWoB4m7MYlpS4fP2WgaNv7q7D/view?usp=sharing

    ReplyDelete